Thursday

Lord Grant, That We Should Fish


Photo of Bass Club being formed at church on Wednesday Night


Lord grant that we should fish.

And this is why I fish. My fishing, you see, actually has little to do with fish. There is something else I am after, out there in the deep. I am fishing for an even more elusive prey…something that can only be found with the help of the wild, the wilderness, the water…I am fishing for my heart.
I am never alive in an office, never alive in my car, never alive on a sidewalk, but I am alive in the wild, alive on the water. The adventure of fishing, or hunting, or golfing even, takes a man’s heart where something primal in nature surrounds him. When I esacpe into my boat or hunt on a mountain or trail a deer, I am around a geography that matches my soul. I am not around computers and scanners and e-mail and cell phones. I am in the wild with God, as God created it.
(Re-written with apologies to John Elredge, of Wild at Heart.