Thursday

Jesus' Ladder & Church Discipline


The Beatitudes of Jesus represent a ladder of spiritual maturity. At the very heights of our spiritual development, Jesus sees his disciples as peacemakers, whose peacemaking beween God and man is so at odds with the world....they are persecuted by world systems. This morning we begin praying the beatitudes in Matthew 5:1-12

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

It's Morning, Jesus
I read your words and I sing:
"Without you I can do nothing
Without you I'd surely fail
Without you I would be drifting
Like a ship without a sail."

Give me today, Lord
An ability to empty myself before you.
Empty me of all innate and temperamental abilities untouched by you.
Empty me of self-sufficiency.
Empty me of pride.
Empty me of the fullness of my concerns that makes no room for your concerns.
Empty me of my own concepts of righteousness.
Empty me of traditions that are themselves empty
Empty me of anger and hostililty
Empty me of rebellion and sin
Empty me of frustration and hopelessness

I pour myself out to you
I turn the cup of my soul over

Drain my cup Lord
Drain my cup
Make it dry and thirsty
Then fill my cup, Lord
fill my cup
Fill it overflowing
Let it be your waters I am pouring
Then make me nothing, Lord
Make me nothing
Then shape my broken spirit into something
That will be acceptable in thy sight
O' Lord my strength and my redeemer.
Amen