Friday

Wheat Fields and Harvest


Jesus told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field.

But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared.

"The owner's servants came to him and said, 'Sir, didn't you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?'

" 'An enemy did this,' he replied.
"The servants asked him, 'Do you want us to go and pull them up?'

" 'No,' he answered, 'because while you are pulling the weeds, you may root up the wheat with them.

Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.' "
Matthew 13:24-30


It's Morning, Jesus
There you are on the mountain top of history
Pointing to the golden harvest.
There you are, seated in wisdom as well as glory,
Counseling and advising by the truth of your Word.
Give me eyes, today, Lord
For the wheat in the field.

In this world with sordid mixture of wheat and tares
Show us the wheat.

Grant to every member of your body
A vision of the golden fruit of their labor

Protect mom's and school teachers and parole officers
From the terrible vision of tares.
Give us custody of our eyes, again.
Help our nation reclaim its eyes from the steel focus of the t.v. camera
And show us the good of our land
The bounty of your blessing
The hope of your word

"Blessed are the pure in heart...they shall see God."
That's what you said, Jesus.
Grant me purity of heart to see God and good,
Even in the places where the enemy has come and sown tares.

Grant it, Lord
That today I would not withhold my favor or labor from any field
Because it has tares in it.
Grant it that my countenance would not be dark against that field
And so become apart of the cold darkness in which the tares prosper
and the wheat fails.
Shine in me, Jesus

Today...
I will love the complicated as you loved.
Christ in me, the hope of glory.
I will love the conflicted as you loved.
Christ in me, the hope of glory.
I will love the wounded and broken as you loved.
Christ in me the hope of glory.
I will love the place where love has sown
Christ in me, the hope of glory.

Amen