Monday

I Begin the Day


It's Morning, Jesus
I begin this day with you
Running down the road to catch you
I see you walking down the road in front of my house
And I want to walk beside you
I come out of sleep, off my porch, into the road
And there you are.
You do not stop and wait on me
you are walking ahead
So I hurry a little
scuffling along like a student hurrying to get to class
before the bell rings
I want to walk beside you, Jesus
I do not want to walk alone today
I want your companionship
I want your presence
I desire the sound of your voice
and the counsel you will give me
I desire the peace of your presence
the humor of your look upon the world
the grace of your vision
You are so easy to be with, Jesus

I remember an old prayer, to pray:
"It's morning Jesus
And here's that light and sound all over again
I've got to move fast, wash up, grab a bite to eat, and run some more.
I just don't feel like it.
What I really want to do is get back into bed, pull up the cover and sleep.
All I seem to want today is the big sleep and I've got to run all over again.
Where am I running? You know these things I can't understand. It's not that I need to have you tell me. What counts most is just that somebody knows, and its you,
and it helps a lot. So, I'll follow along, OK? But lead, please. Now I've got to run. Are you running with me, Jesus?"---
Malcolm Boyd