Thursday

I Saw the Lord


1 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple. 2 Above him were seraphs, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. 3 And they were calling to one another:
"Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty;
the whole earth is full of his glory."
4 At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke.

5 "Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty."

6 Then one of the seraphs flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. 7 With it he touched my mouth and said, "See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for."

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

It's Morning, Jesus
It is the vision of you, there, seated on the Throne,
That give me meaning.
I discover my purpose each morning
As I awaken in this earth-house that belongs to you
You are the Father of this house
The head of this home
The provider of all who live here
The security, the comfort and the peace
of every inhabitant.
We went to sleep last night under your watchful care
And we awakened this morning under the providence of your strength
Glory to you, all-providing God
Power and justice and truth and deliverance
Belong to you
Today I live under the shadow of your wing
Today I walk in the path of your providing
Every moment of this day is held in your keeping
All provisions, all circumstancs, all idiosyncracies, all surprises,
all comfort, all challenges,events, are not without your permission
nor outside of your sovereignty.
"All things" today will be taken up by you and used for good.
So today I walk in freedom, comfort, strength, abundance, plenty.
I have food to eat today, that came from the earth you made
I have clothing today, overly abundant
I have shelter that keeps out the rain, holds off the wind, deters the frost and snow, and shades the heat.
I have health in my body, wealth in my soul
I have medicines of healing
in every form.

Grant that my eyes and heart and hands and feet
be of service today to those of you children on this planet who have none of these
or little of these, or hurt and swagger in pain today because of a lack of one or two of these.

I cannot be at total ease in my Zion,
When your children of the earth, my neighbors and friends,
are hungry or naked, or sick.

Show me, Lord Jesus,
What I can do today to make a difference to you
in your distressing disguise.

I will not forget my journeys
to Burkina Faso
to Uganda
to Domninican Republic
to Honduras
to Mexico
to Puerto Rico
to Cuba
to England
to France
to the Virgin Islands
and to so many othe places

I have gone to some to lay down in the sun
And to have the natives bring me towels
While I tanned my self upon the beach
and spend a year of local wages for my comfort

and I have gone to others to take a towel
and wash the feet of your poorest.

For the rest of my journey,
I have chosen one of the two
and I have told no man why.

Amen