Thursday

Fruit of the Spirit: Patience




Longsuffering (patience)
We are "strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness" (Colossians 1:11). "With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love" (Ephesians 4:2).

It's Morning, Jesus
It has taken patience to be with you, this morning Lord
It always does.
It seems I am always ready to run
It seems I always have to do it right now
It seems everything is urgent.
I am envious of those who are calm
I love to be with those who are still and quiet
I don't like all this energy you have given me
Sometimes I don't know how to channel it
How to sit on it
How to manage it
So I confess to you Lord
That I am often an eager vine
Plopped own in front of you
I have to learn every day how to be still
I have to practice each morning the discipline of quiet.
But my Lord, how I love it, when I finally settle down
My God, how great thou art in the stillness of the morning
My Lord and King how beautiful are the courts of praise
When you inhabit them
You suddenly spring forth in my mind
Like a dogwood in spring,
Wearing the resplendent white garment of your purity
The members of your court suddenly appear as buglers
With the golden trumpets of daffodils in their hands
Sounding your praises.
My lord and my God, how beautiful is this Narnia of solitude and praise.
By beauty, you are teaching me patience.

Amen