Monday

Sloth & Simon

Luke 23:36
As they led him away, they seized Simon from Cyrene,
who was on his way in from the country,
and put the cross on him and made him carry it behind Jesus.
It's Afternoon, Jesus
You carried the cross in a world like ours.
Along that path where many were indifferent to your suffering.
You suffered practically alone,
None were capable of feeling strongly enough to intervene.
So full of sloth was this crowd
As the apostles slept that night in Gethsemane,
Those along the path of your suffering slept too
While on their block, at their door, at their feet,
You suffered horribly under a cross.
So you God, had to press another into service.
Because of the sloth of the others
You had to command an intervention.
You used the Roman soldiers to procure assistance for Jesus
Who carried the cross.

Sensitize my eyes today, Lord
Touch my heart with your real suffering
Forbid that I should see only that need
That puts me on a comfortable couch
Name me, if you must, Simon
And commission me, direct me, send me
Into service today.


Amen