Tuesday

Oz

Pilate's Problem

It's Afternoon, Jesus




I thank you for the truth of your word:


"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."


You said, "Be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."


I pray this afternoon that all in leadership will have your heart


And will have the courage to stand against those parts of the world


That war against you and the coming of your Kingdom.




You stood before Pilate


In a way that Pilate could not stand before the crowd.


Pilate held your life in his hands, and yet you stood.


But Pilate could not stand before a crowd,


For he feared their disfavor.




There is a cowardly Pilate in most of us, Lord


Grant to me the strength of my convictions.


Give to me earnestness in my devotion


Lack of fickleness in my faith


Your power, which overcomes the world.




Amen